deutsch englisch polnisch

Guben - Church of the Good Shepherd

The church built in 1903 in the Art Nouveau Style was planned by the well-known Berlin Architects Office Spalding and Grenander. It is the  church of the Lutheran parish. It was established in 1835 when some craftsmen met for Lutheran services, one of them the hat maker Carl  Gottlob Wilke. His son, Friedrich Wilke, donated the money for the construction of the new church. Remarkable features are the three windows of the former Wilke family lodge, the brass mounting at alter and pulpit as well as the ceiling and wall lights in the church. In the 1980s the  church went through comprehensive renovation and got colourful glass windows in the area of the altar which are now an optic reference point. Directly next to the Church there is the historical Gate House built of clinkers. It was the gatekeeper’s lodge of the Wilke Villa which was  severely damaged in the war in 1945 and later demolished. The original villa was a spacious upper middle-class residence reflecting the  outstanding role the Wilke family played in Guben.

 


Guben - Cloister Church

The name of the church originates from a Benedictine cloister founded in the beginning of the...

Guben - Church of the Good Shepherd

The church built in 1903 in the Art Nouveau Style was planned by the well-known Berlin Architects...

Gubin - Theatre Island

The Polish island is located between the towns Guben and Gubin in the Neisse river and can be...

Gubin - Town and Main Church

One of the most impressive buildings of Gubin is the Guben Town and Main Church. The first...

Gubin - culture centre

East of the Church there is the former Guben town hall. As early as in the 13th century the town...

Gubin - Villa Wolf

In 1927, the Guben cloth factory owner Erich Wolf had an innovative residence built in the Guben...

Gubin - Town fortification

Some single fragments of the former medieval town Guben are preserved on the side of Gubin....