deutsch englisch polnisch

Guben - Cloister Church

The name of the church originates from a Benedictine cloister founded in the beginning of the 13th century. The cloister was dissolved after Reformation. The Church, built in Neo-Gothic style and inaugurated in 1862, was planned by the architect K.A. Flaminius. It is like a wonder that this church survived the destructions of the town in 1945. The Cloister Church is already the third house of God at that location. The first one was destroyed by Hussites, the second one was demolished in 1860 due to dilapidation. Until World War II the Cloister Church was only used by the rural population, whereas Christians from Guben met in the Town Church in today’s Gubin. For many  years, the church has been the religious and also sacred music centre of the town. After the longtime restoration ending which was finished in 2003, the church can be admired again in its full beauty. A special highlight are the glass windows of the Cloister Church which were designed in 1999 by the Berlin artist Helge Warme. The basis for the topic of the design is a Protestant song “Jesu, meine Freude”, composed in 1653 by the Guben citizens Johann Frank (lyrics) and Johann Crüger (music).

 


Guben - Cloister Church

The name of the church originates from a Benedictine cloister founded in the beginning of the...

Guben - Church of the Good Shepherd

The church built in 1903 in the Art Nouveau Style was planned by the well-known Berlin Architects...

Gubin - Theatre Island

The Polish island is located between the towns Guben and Gubin in the Neisse river and can be...

Gubin - Town and Main Church

One of the most impressive buildings of Gubin is the Guben Town and Main Church. The first...

Gubin - culture centre

East of the Church there is the former Guben town hall. As early as in the 13th century the town...

Gubin - Villa Wolf

In 1927, the Guben cloth factory owner Erich Wolf had an innovative residence built in the Guben...

Gubin - Town fortification

Some single fragments of the former medieval town Guben are preserved on the side of Gubin....