deutsch englisch polnisch

Gubin - Town fortification

Some single fragments of the former medieval town Guben are preserved on the side of Gubin. Gates, doors and towers were built for the defence of the town and its citizens. These gates can be seen today as symbols on Guben’s and Gubin’s municipal coat of arms. The so-called Thick Tower (of the Werder Gate) is the only still existing fortification tower and can be visited as well as single parts of the city wall from the   15th and 16th centuries. One part of the former city wall was added by the forwarder Wilhelm Wilke in about 1900 as a decoration and to recall old traditions. Next to the Werder Tower there is the museum chamber offering more than 1000 exhibits on the history of Lower Lusatia. One of them is the wooden face of the clock which was installed at the Werder Tower in 1657. On the initiative of the association “Friends of the Gubin Land”, two clocks have been installed according to the historical original, one on he northern and one on the southern side of the Tower.

 


Guben - Cloister Church

The name of the church originates from a Benedictine cloister founded in the beginning of the...

Guben - Church of the Good Shepherd

The church built in 1903 in the Art Nouveau Style was planned by the well-known Berlin Architects...

Gubin - Theatre Island

The Polish island is located between the towns Guben and Gubin in the Neisse river and can be...

Gubin - Town and Main Church

One of the most impressive buildings of Gubin is the Guben Town and Main Church. The first...

Gubin - culture centre

East of the Church there is the former Guben town hall. As early as in the 13th century the town...

Gubin - Villa Wolf

In 1927, the Guben cloth factory owner Erich Wolf had an innovative residence built in the Guben...

Gubin - Town fortification

Some single fragments of the former medieval town Guben are preserved on the side of Gubin....